Monday 25 February 2008

Talk About Quilting

By T.J. Modine At the age of 75, Trudy Schwader can only estimate her
lifetime total of quilts. Somewhere around number 50 she
began counting and taking pictures before giving them away.
By now, her best guess - counting the baby quilts and the
wedding quilts and the ones that were an experiment with
color or style or pattern - her best guess is that she's
made more than 130 quilts. With that many to her credit, Trudy's quilting experience
holds something useful to share with everyone from
beginning quilters to lifetime veterans. So I decided to
talk with Trudy and make a record of her quilting career.
The result is a series of articles representing our
conversations. The interviews piece together a little of
the rich history that quilting holds, through one woman's
story and memories - sharing some tips, insights, and
favorite patterns [Question: How did you get started quilting?]
Trudy: My mother always sewed, and ever since I was about
10 years old, I liked to sew, too. I'm sure I was sewing
younger but I definitely remember sewing by the time I was
10. I was one of the youngest of 13 children, and when the
older kids were grown and gone, Mother made quilts. I
always liked her quilts. [Question: So you liked quilts and you liked sewing: it
was a perfect match.]
Trudy: Yes. Also, I like to put puzzles together and
putting quilts together is a puzzle. (laughs) [Question: You never really were a beginner, then. You
were always sewing. Still, when you were 10 years old,
obviously you didn't start putting together a big patchwork
queen-sized quilt. When you started quilting on your own,
what was your first big project?]
Trudy: Well, actually, 50 some years ago when I got
married and I didn't have kids yet, I started making a
quilt. I put roses in because I like roses and I made this
quilt top. And then I started hand-quilting it, but by that
time I had three kids and I was too darn busy! [Question: So your first quilt was one that you started as
a newlywed and then had three kids before you got it
quilted?]
Trudy: Before I got it hand-quilted. The rest of it I
finally just tied, and because I had so many kids, (eight
all together), I kept using the quilt. I noticed that what
didn't wear out as quick was what I had hand-quilted, so I
said I'd never tie a quilt again. In the meantime, I just never did like to do handwork. So
I generally don't hand-quilt now, I get my quilt-top ready
and then let somebody else machine or hand-quilt it. What I
like about quilting is working with the colors and creating
patterns and putting the pieces of the design together -
not doing hand-work. [Question: Do you still have your first quilt with the
roses on it?]
Trudy: No, no, no, no. (laughs) That was so long ago and
I needed it for the kids, and with children you have to
wash things all the time. I used that quilt up till it
was... gone. By then, I had made another and then another
one. Still doing that. T.J. Modine, internet publisher and fiber artist is a
contributing writer for The Quilt Box, offering
valuable free information to quilters. Articles by T.J. are
also found at First Class
Fabric and FYN
Photography. Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=T.J._Modine http://EzineArticles.com/?Talk-About-Quilting&id=117382 addictive ambien
biopharmceutical classification system class of zolpidem tartarate
ativan and withdrawal
zolpidem buy ambien